SAINT CHARLES COUNTY DETENTION CENTER RENOVATION
Saint Charles, MO
St. Charles County, a large jurisdiction located immediately northwest of St. Louis, MO built a multi-level, 260-Bed Adult detention facility downtown in 1986. After years of population growth, emergency repairs and incremental upgrades, County officials were faced with a dilemma shared by numerous local governments across the nation: find ways to update their aging jail to accommodate larger populations and modernize operations, or spend $50-60M on a new replacement facility.
St. Charles retained a St. Louis-based Project Team which included GGA as the Criminal Justice and Design expert. A Master Plan for the phased Renovation of the entire detention facility, while occupied, addressing all areas of facility need and establishing respective Phase budgets was developed. Bringing St. Charles’ aging facility up to modern standards with cutting-edge security controls, more efficient functional adjacencies, increased capacity and classifications will extend the life of the facility, meeting the Adult Detention needs of the Department of Corrections for years to come.
Master Plan Scope:
- Phase I- Medical Suite/Muster Room Renovation
- Phase II- Central Controls Replacement
- Phase III- Video/Attorney Visitation Renovation
- Phase IV- Booking Renovation
- Phase V- Suicide Watch (13 Additional Beds)
- Phase VI- Additional Outdoor Activity Areas
- Phase VII – Renovation for Additional 52 Bed Pod
- Phase VIII- Special Custody (10 Beds)